Department: Product - Location: Los Angeles / Remote
IV.AI is looking for a data engineer to join and help work on machine learning problems (in the field of natural language processing) for large enterprise clients and to improve the suite of products that we offer. The ideal candidate should be comfortable working within a small team of smart engineers with tight deadlines. We value people who are able to work collaboratively in a distributed team and who are excited about the potential of machine learning.
- Work with internal and external tools to build out natural language solutions for a wide variety of enterprise clients
- Work directly with the Chief Product Officer and Head of Machine Learning to determine the technical solutions available to solve different linguistic problems
- Collaborate with the product teams to improve the core products we produce
- Work with Chief Technical Officer and Chief Product Officer to improve internal techniques for applied data science
- Work with Head of Technical Services, project managers and clients to understand what is technically feasible
- Work on improving internal tools either through engineering or developing technical specifications for other engineers
- Improve and maintain internal libraries and APIs that are consistent across all our NLP model builds
- Build out tests for internal APIs and help develop CI implementation
Great engineers come from different backgrounds: some are educated and some are self taught. We’re a team of engineers that embodies this: so we’re not necessarily looking for a CS Masters or a PhD… what we are looking for is someone who cares about shipping quality work and can work diligently while tackling problems in the most well considered and efficient manor possible. If you have the following experience, then we’d love to hear from you:
- 2+ years experience in an applied data science / machine learning / statistical analysis
- 2+ years experience writing code in Python, Java or Scala
- Experience working with large unstructured datasets
- Experience building atomic/modular code bases
- R, Go and/or TypeScript experience a plus
- Examples of shipping production level code
- API design and data modelling experience a bonus
- Attention to detail
- excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Passionate about data, intelligence, and/or linguistics
Who are we?
IV.AI is the world's smartest AI platform with a focus on enterprise. We have grown fast but aim to retain our scrappy nature that enabled us to build big ML models that outperform the industry standards. There are a lot of companies right now that talk about the potential impact of AI while we hustle hard and have actually proven the benefits repeatedly. See validation on the homepage or via case studies and press.
We’re trying to help everyone become better informed by using machine learning - whether it's a model that makes sense of noisy social media data, a voice-powered interface, or a conversational interface, we want to help others make more informed decisions by using AI.
Our inclusive culture values people regardless of their background, education, or upbringing. In order to train machines to act appropriately we need to be representative of the entire population. AI is only as good as the teams working on it and the training it receives.
You should expect hard challenges working with our tier 1 client list. In just 3 years we have built a scalable platform with 1000s of AI solutions for Fortune 500 companies including Sony, Netflix, Time Warner, Fox, Capital One, Estée Lauder, to name a few.
Being professional and respectful of our clients is of the utmost importance. We work with blue chip clients and we sometimes work with very sensitive data.
Our employees are constantly problem solving and assessing their own output to maximize delivery. It's important that our team is always looking for the best way of addressing problems so we can manage customer expectations.
We never try to write more code than is necessary for a task. We modularize and systemize everything. Concurrency is important to us and simple solutions always win. We work together to determine best practices / processes, and to stick to them. We believe that no challenge is too hard.
We’re still young. Expect that you'll be part of a core team, able to have a say in the future of the company. Also expect that the senior team have no problem being challenged: they love to listen.
Who you should be...
You should love to build things and be excited about AI. You should be smart but always willing to learn. You'll be able to accept your own limitations and be honest that nobody knows everything, anybody is able to ask for support. You will always be looking for solutions that can speed up workflows. Efficiency is at the top of your mind. You like doing things the "right" way, but are pragmatic when you have a deadline.